No EHR Required: How Startup Digital Healthcare Companies and Single Providers Can Start ePrescribing Now
August 25, 2023
Entrepreneurs everywhere are trying to solve a piece of the healthcare puzzle. According to Crunchbase, in 2022 alone, approximately 572 health tech startups received funding in the U.S. to continue developing their ideas through innovative business models. Aside from the financial, operational, and clinical components of starting a new healthcare enterprise, the technical strain can be overwhelming.
For nearly all clinical healthcare businesses, whether digital or in-person practices operated by single providers, prescribing medication is part of the model. In recent years, ePrescribing has become increasingly common as the preferred delivery mechanism for sending prescriptions to the pharmacy more efficiently and accurately. Gone are the days of sending a paper prescription with your patient, only to be lost and untraceable.
Is an EHR Required for ePrescribing?
Today’s technology allows care to become more accessible. However, many startup healthcare companies and single providers who own their own practice do not have an electronic health record (EHR) system that integrates with ePrescribing. Some platform integrations can require more development time and resources than these new companies have available. But there are options.
You can use a standalone ePrescribing solution like Treat Rx (formerly Treat 5) without an EHR integration. These types of ePrescribing solutions typically offer a variety of features, including the ability to create and send prescriptions, view patient medication history, and manage controlled substances. They are used by digital health startups and single-owned practices specializing in areas such as fertility, men’s and women’s sexual or reproductive health, chronic disease management, oncology, behavioral health, and even dentistry.
Look for These Must-Have Elements in Standalone ePrescribing Solutions:
- Security: The solution should be secure and use encryption to protect patient data during prescription transmission to the pharmacy.
- Enabled with 2-Factor Authentication: Ensure each prescription that is sent is secure and protected with 2FA
- Cloud-based: When solutions are hosted on the cloud, they can be accessed from any device with an internet connection.
- Compliant: There are many regulations and mandates at the Federal level and those that vary by state. Be sure the solution you choose does not put you at risk of being non-compliant. Especially when writing prescriptions for controlled substances.
- Feature-Rich: Look for a solution that includes everything you need to prescribe medications effectively. Features like creating and sending prescriptions, viewing patient medication history, and managing controlled substances.
- Cost-Effective: The solution should be affordable for your practice. Look for a price point that provides value across your organization and could enhance or replace other tools you use.
Affordable, easy-to-use, and quick to start are often the top considerations for providers looking for a standalone ePrescribing platform. Just like those integrated within an EHR, you can improve the efficiency and accuracy of your prescribing process. You can also help to ensure that your patients receive the medications they need safely and effectively.
Choose the right solution and plan for you, and get started today!