Content - Health Science For Kids
Health Science For Kids
Health is a big subject that includes many different things, such as nutrition, exercise, and how the human body works. When you want to make sure that you stay strong, you protect your health by making good decisions about the things you do. Part of good health also involves staying away from things that could hurt you, such as drugs. Learning about health now will help you make smart choices.
The human body is a group of systems that work together. Some of your body's systems include the digestive system, the nervous system, and the respiratory system. Every system works independently, but if one system stops working or doesn't work correctly, the whole body will often suffer. This is why it's important to take care of your whole body to make sure you stay healthy.
- Heart Rate Exercise: Click on the activity that you think will make Ruby's heart beat faster.
- Ear Labeling: Label all of the parts of the ear to solve this puzzle.
- Senses Challenge: Take this quiz to see how much you know about the five senses.
- How Do We Taste? This interactive activity helps you see how your taste buds work to taste foods.
- Anatomy of the Heart: Explore this two- or three-dimensional model of the heart to see how it works inside your body.
- 3-D Brain Anatomy: Take a tour of your brain inside this three-dimensional model that includes all of the different parts of the brain.
- Your Digestive System: Your digestive system is in charge of taking in foods and using the nutrients in the foods to keep your body working and healthy.
- Poke a Muscle: See how many muscles you know by poking the muscles in this game.
- Skeletal System: Choose whether you want to assemble a skeleton or label an existing skeleton.
- Heart and Circulation: See how much you know about your heart and your circulatory system by taking this fun quiz.
Choosing healthy foods is the way you can make sure your body gets the nutrients it needs to grow and have energy. Your body uses energy for the different systems to function, so you can move and think and so you can grow. Eating unhealthy foods may mean that your body doesn't have the nutrients it needs. Unhealthy foods could also result in too much sugar and fat in your diet, which could cause you to gain weight.
- Power Up Your Breakfast: Play this game to learn about how important breakfast is for you and your family.
- Just Desserts: Get delicious recipes for desserts that taste good and are good for you.
- What Are Carbohydrates? Carbohydrates are sources of energy that your body uses to do all of the things you need to do.
- Alphabet Toss: Play this game to see how many healthy foods you can think of that begin with the different letters of the alphabet.
- Find Your Food Style: Everyone has a style that dictates how and when they like to eat. Take this quiz to discover your food style.
- Food Label Guide (PDF): Learning how to read food labels helps you know whether different foods are healthy.
- Blast Off: In this game, you have to make the best food choices to power your spaceship for a day.
- Healthy Cooking and Snacking: The foods you eat should be low in fat and sugar and high in nutrients.
- Eight Healthy Eating Goals: Choosing whole grains and making half of your meal fruits and vegetables are two health goals.
- Why Kids Should Eat Healthy and Exercise (video): Kids are growing, so it's very important for young people to eat healthy foods.
People need regular exercise to keep their bodies strong and healthy. When you exercise, your heart beats faster, which pumps blood more quickly throughout your body. Raising your heart rate like this is good for your heart because it makes it stronger. Doctors recommend that kids get at least one hour of exercise every day.
Substance abuse involves using drugs in a way that hurts your body. Some drugs are addictive, which means that if you misuse them, your body may begin to need them and it will be really hard to stop using them. The best way to avoid substance abuse is to stay away from drugs, alcohol, and tobacco. If you or someone you know has a substance abuse problem, it's possible to get help.
© 2009- PRN Software, LLC. All Rights Reserved | 18 Crawford Street, 2nd Floor, Needham Heights, MA 02494 | (888) 847-6814